Monday, August 25, 2014
· Plan ahead: Start about 6 weeks before the move with a file and calendar handy. Keep details for utility turn ons, copy of contract, lease or mortgage, and other important papers.
· Get organized: Start with boxes and mark on the outsides which room the items will go to. List furniture and which room they will go to. Share with movers.
· Don't crack under pressure: Keep plates in one piece by stacking Styrofoam plates between each one. Protect glasses by putting them inside pairs of clean socks.
· Vacuum seal out-of-season clothing: Save space, and put into a storage shelf in your new home.
· Think of the little things: Keep sandwich bags handy to hold small items that must be taken apart, such as screws for a mounted flat-screen television or a bed frame, and tape the bag to the back of the object. Label bags in case they get separated.
· Sweet dreams: If it's time to replace an item, do so during the move to avoid extra packing. It might be a good time, for example, to replace an older mattress, pillows and sheets.
· Green thumb: Transport plants delicately by using a plastic bag to keep all of the appendages safe and prevent snapping.
· Survival kit: Pack an overnight kit to take and use your first day in the new home. Put in night clothes, a change of clothes for the next day, toiletries and towels. Include moving staples, such as a box cutter, paper towels, trash bags and power strips. Be sure to pack pet’s necessities and a few cans or bags of pet food along with their favorite toys.
Posted by Marilyn Farber Jacobs at Monday, August 25, 2014